Crete: From Stomp to Sip! Vineyard and Harvest Experience
Love wine? Want to be a farmer for a day and get hands-on experience in a vineyard? Willing to get your feet wet and red in a roll-up-your-pants grape stomp?! Even if you don’t like physical labour, you can still enjoy the fruits of the grape harvest! Grab this opportunity for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, off the beaten path on Crete.
- Learn about the traditional way of life on Crete;
- Help make wine during harvest season, from picking the grapes to stomping them;
- Tantalise your tastebuds with local recipes based on wine;
- Enjoy a glass or more of local wines and learn about the local varieties from harvest to bottling;
- Participate in a hands-on cooking class in a picturesque mountaintop village.
Another summer is coming to an end, which means it’s time for the grape harvest! Join us on our food, wine, and harvest tour at a village off the beaten path, and become a farmer for the day.
One of the best ways to explore the heart of Crete away from the tourist centers is to mingle with the locals, and what better than participating in an ancient task?
You’ll tour the island, get to harvest and stomp grapes, and sample olives and cheeses, all while working in a family vineyard. You’ll also devour an organic meal, prepare sweets with wine-based recipes, and finish off your day with a bag of “farm goodies” to bring home! A celebration for the whole family!
We’ll start our day with a traditional Greek coffee before arriving at the hilltop village and family-owned business. Along the way, your guide will point out the landmarks, but mostly entertain you with local stories of the area.
Then it’s time to feel the passion and excitement of wine making! You’ll join the family in the vineyard, where you’ll gain a deeper understanding of Greek wine culture, learn about the history of wine on Crete, and discover the local varieties. You’ll practice traditional wine-making methods while turning your feet purple with the ancient method of maceration: wine stomping!
You’ll also get to appreciate locally farmed organic products with a mouthwatering meal, paired with house wines, of course.
Then wander around an ancient Minoan site or pick herbs before rolling up your sleeves again — but this time to check your cooking skills as we help you to bake your own sweets based on wine recipes!
Enjoy this innovative experience and take home a bag of local goods such as fresh fruit and vegetables from the farm.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and beverage samples as indicated in the itinerary (coffee, rusks, olives and cheese, a three-course traditional Cretan meal, house wines, fresh orange juice for the children, traditional sweets)
- A vegetarian meal option is available.
Price does not include
- Additional food and drink
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Starting time: 9.00 AM
- Duration: 8 hours
- Language: English
- Meeting point: There are 2 meeting points — please double check the meeting point in your chosen departure city:
- Chania: Chania Municipal Market at 8:15 AM
- Rethymnon: The Square of the Four Martyrs in the centre of Rethymnon at 9:00 AM
- Ending point:
- Chania Municipal Market. Alternately, we can drop off any tour participants whose hotels are along the route from Rethymnon back to the Chania Municipal Market.
- You will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Please state your meal option (meat/veggie) upon booking.
- Dress standard: As this is a nature tour, we advise you wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a pair of flip-flops with you. Don’t forget your sunglasses, a hat, and a camera, of course!